Browsing Mapungubwe Archaeological Collection by Issue Date

Browsing Mapungubwe Archaeological Collection by Issue Date

Sort by: Order: Results:

  • Schofield, John F. (Sunday Times, 1926)
    A newspaper article written by John.F. Schofield about ancient Bantu civilizations in Southern Africa
  • Visser, Heleen (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    The complete gold rhinoceros discovered on Mapungubwe Hill 1933, before its final restoration by the British Museum Senior Metals Conservator in 1999.
  • Unknown (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    A view of Excavation JS 2(b) on the Southern Terrace viewed from the south in 1934
  • Roos, Nico (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    Oil painting by Prof Nico Roos made specifically for the frontpage of the publication: The Archaeological sites of Greefswald
  • Meyer, Andrie (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    An aerial view of the north-eastern settlement area at K2, seen from the south-east in 1995. Stone wall ruins can still be seen on the southern cliff of Bambandyanalo Hill, here visible on the right.
  • University of Pretoria. Dept. of Geography (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    Map of the location of the excavated sites on Greefswald during the period 1971-1995
  • Unknown (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    General Jan C Smuts on a visit to Mapungubwe in July of 1934. From left to right: Professor C van Riet Lowe, General Smuts and Reverend N. Jones. They are standing on the site of Excavation JS 2(a) on the southern ...
  • Libertas (Pretoria: University of pretoria, 1998)
    The early excavators at Mapungubwe, 1934. From left to right: Professor Leo Fouche, Mr John F Schofield, Professor Clarence van Riet Lowe, Reverend Neville Jones and Professor F J Tromp.
  • (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    An aerial view of Mapungubwe Hill from the north-west, before excavations, 1933 Mapungubwe Archive.
  • Pretorius, Dotman (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    An aerial view of the K2 site from the south-west. Gardner's large scale excavations can be seen in the centre. The midden known as K1 is situated on the lower valley floor to the right.
  • Visser, Heleen (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    Clay pots and stone structures discovered on Mapungubwe Hill, 1933 or 1934 Mapungubwe Archive
  • Meyer, Andrie (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    Maintenance work on the Southern Terrace, July 1988
  • Meyer, Andrie (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    Excavation known as MK 1 on Mapungubwe Hill, 1973. Detailed excavation and recording techniques are required to reconstruct the settlement remains on the Greefswald sites.
  • King, D. (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    Later excavators on Mapungubwe Hill, 1973. From left to right: Andrie Meyer and J F (Hannes) Eloff Mapungubwe Archive.
  • Meyer, Andrie (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    Some examples of rock paintings in Mongoose Shelter to the east of Mapungubwe Hill.
  • Hanisch, Edwin Oscar Max (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    Recording Profile B3-A3 in Excavation MK 1 on Mapungubwe Hill in 1973. The excavators, from left to right: Andrie Meyer and Edwin Hanisch.
  • Jones, Neville (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    Stone terrace walls discovered on Mapungubwe Hill during the first excavations in 1934 Mapungubwe Archive.
  • Pretorius, Dotman (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    The Southern Terrace, viewed from the summit of Mapungubwe in 1971. This is the location of Excavation JS 2(a) by Jones and Schofield in the settlement area which has been interpreted as the main entrance to Mapungubwe Hill.
  • Meyer, Andrie (1998)
    Investigating kraal deposits in the wall of Gardner’s old excavation on K2, 1955. A field team consisting of staff members and students of the Department of Anthropology and Archaeology and the Department of Anatomy of ...
  • Meyer, Andrie (Pretoria: University of Pretoria, 1998)
    The remains of stone terrace walls on the slope at the northern foot of Mapungubwe Hill in 1995