Over the years the University had several student centres, but as student numbers increased, they all became too small. When Roper Street was finally closed in 1993, construction of a new student centre could start. The centre designed by Philip Viljoen and sponsored largely by Sasol and other donors was officially opened in August 1995. The student centre is the hub of the campus for most students. It houses a large cafeteria, restaurants, coffee shops, Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) and various other shops located around the Piazza, as well as a central circular raised platform used for various activities. The building material used for the construction of the centre, such as the concrete blocks with a sandstone colour and red roof tiles, ensures that the complex blends in with the surrounding buildings.
Created with Artlantis. JPEG image, Dimensions: 2048 x 1536, Size: 861KB. .
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008