This modern-style face brick structure with touches of Dutch Brick Modernism was built in the middle of the Second World War in 1943 when the Old Chemistry building became too small for the expanding number of students due to the newly established Faculty of Medicine. Gerhard Moerdyk and H Watson were responsible for the design. The detailed reliefs on the front of the building portray elements of chemistry. In 1956 the east wing was added and two years later a third floor was completed. The Department of Chemistry occupies the entire building.
5 coloured digital photos. JPEG image, Camera model: Caplio R5.
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.