Initially known as the J G Strijdom building, it is similar to the Mineral Sciences Building, as the architectural firm Meiring Naudé already had plans for building a mirror image of that building. Showing aspects of the Little Brazilian or Modern Brazilian style, also known as the Cobra style, it forms an integral part of the inner courtyard of the campus. It was built to provide additional accommodation for the Faculty of Engineering and by completion in 1960 it could accommodate around 1 200 students. The cornerstone was laid by Prime Minister J G Strijdom on 6 April 1957. Over the years numerous extensions were added. The building is now known as the Engineering II building, in accordance with the University policy of naming buildings according to their primary function.
Artlantis model. Use Artlantis to access model. Download Artlantis from http://www.artlantis.com/index.php?page=download/demo/index.
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.