Treatment of pre- and confirmed cervical cancer in HIV-seropositive women from developing countries

Show simple item record Mapanga, Witness Singh, Elvira Feresu, Shingairai A. Girdler-Brown, B.V. (Brendan) 2021-03-02T05:51:19Z 2021-03-02T05:51:19Z 2020-04-10
dc.description Additional file 1. PubMed and OvidSP (MEDLINE and Embase) Search Strategies. This file contains two examples of the search strategies used to search for studies that were included in this literature review. The search strategies are for PubMed, MEDLINE and Embase databases. en_ZA
dc.description WM is a Public Health Specialist and Cancer Clinical Epidemiologist, and this study was part of his Ph.D. at the School of Health Systems and Public Health, University of Pretoria. WM’s research was focusing on cervical cancer and HIV in developing countries. ( en_ZA
dc.description.abstract BACKGROUND : Cervical cancer has become a major public health challenge in developing countries with a reported age-standardised incidence rate of about 17.9/100,000/year and lifetime risks approaching 1 in 20 in some settings. Evidence indicates that HIV-seropositive women are 2 to 12 times more likely to develop precancerous lesions that lead to cervical cancer than HIV-negative women. There is a lack of rigorous evidence on which treatment methods are being utilised for HIV-positive women, and this review aims to synthesise available evidence on treatment modalities for both cervical neoplasia and cervical cancer in HIV-seropositive women in developing countries. METHODS : A systematic review guided by a published protocol was conducted. Online databases including MEDLINE/PubMed, Embase, CINAHL and Emerald (via EBSCOhost), PsycINFO, Cochrane Library, and health databases, which cover developing countries (3ie Systematic Reviews, WHO library and databases, World Bank website), were searched for published articles. Additional articles were found through citation, reference list tracking, and grey literature. Study design, treatment category, geographic country/region, and key outcomes for each included article were documented and summarised. RESULTS : Thirteen research articles from sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and South America were included. Eight (61.5%) articles focused on the treatment of cervical cancer with the remaining five (38.5%) assessed cervical neoplasia treatment. The available cervical cancer treatments, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, chemoradiation, and surgery are effective for HIV-seropositive patients, and these are the same treatments for HIV-negative patients. Both cryotherapy and LEEP are effective in reducing CIN2+ among HIV-seropositive women, and a choice between the treatments might be based on available resources and expertise. Radiation, chemotherapy, concurrent treatment using radiotherapy and chemotherapy, and surgery have shown the possibility of effectiveness among HIVseropositive women. Cervical cancer stage, immunosuppressive level including those on HAART, and multisystem toxicities due to treatment are associated with treatment completion, prognostic, and survival outcomes. CONCLUSIONS : Treatment of cervical cancer is based on the stage of cancer, and poor outcomes in most developing countries might be due to a lack of optimal treatment regimen. Those infected with HIV were younger and had advanced cervical cancer as compared to those who were HIV-negative. Facilitation and putting HIV-infected people on life-long ART is of importance and has been found to have a positive impact on cervical cancer treatment response. Research on precancerous lesions and cervical cancer management of HIV-seropositive patients focusing on the quality of life of those treated; the effectiveness of the treatment method considering CD4+ count and ART is required. en_ZA
dc.description.department School of Health Systems and Public Health (SHSPH) en_ZA
dc.description.librarian am2021 en_ZA
dc.description.sponsorship The University of Pretoria en_ZA
dc.description.uri en_ZA
dc.identifier.citation Mapanga, W., Singh, E., Feresu, S.A. et al. 2020, 'Treatment of pre- and confirmed cervical cancer in HIV-seropositive women from developing countries : a systematic review', Systematic Reviews, vol. 9, art, 79, pp. 1-16. en_ZA
dc.identifier.issn 2046-4053 (online)
dc.identifier.other 10.1186/s13643-020-01345-2
dc.language.iso en en_ZA
dc.publisher BioMed Central en_ZA
dc.rights © The Author(s). 2020. Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. en_ZA
dc.subject Cervical neoplasia en_ZA
dc.subject Cervical cancer en_ZA
dc.subject Treatment en_ZA
dc.subject Developing countries en_ZA
dc.subject Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) en_ZA
dc.title Treatment of pre- and confirmed cervical cancer in HIV-seropositive women from developing countries en_ZA
dc.type Article en_ZA

Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record