The Faculty of Veterinary Science is a faculty of the University of Pretoria. Founded in 1920, it is the second oldest veterinary faculty in Africa. A major event in the veterinary history of South Africa was the arrival in 1891 of a Swiss-born veterinarian, Arnold Theiler. During his time the possibility of training veterinarians in South Africa was frequently raised. In 1920 Sir Arnold Theiler was appointed as Director of Veterinary Education and Research. He was the first Dean of veterinary science at "Onderstepoort" under the supervision of the then Transvaal University College. New facilities were inaugurated at the end of 1921 and the first eight South African trained veterinarians qualified in 1924. This collection consists of class photos of all the graduates from the Faculty since its beginning. (Source: Wikipedia)
© 2021 University of Pretoria. Faculty of Veterinary Science. Provided for preservation and non commercial purposes only. It may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed in any format without a given attribution to the creator and the written permission of the copyright owner.