The unpretentious Renaissance-style building was the first building on campus on which construction started, but it was completed only in 1911 after the inauguration of the Old Arts building. It was designed by P. Eagle, whose building style was greatly influenced by the Herbert Baker School of Architecture. In 1971 the southern wing of the building was demolished to make room for the construction of the library. Only a single arch of that wing now remains. Today the building is largely overshadowed by more modern buildings, but still remains an important landmark on campus. Constructed at a cost of £13 500, it was originally built to house the departments of Chemistry and Physical Science. In 1921 the Department of Zoology also moved in for a short while. Today the Old Chemistry Building houses the Quality Assurance Unit, a campus kiosk, as well as a photocopying facility.
Created with Artlantis. JPEG image, Dimensions: 2048 x 1536, Size: 907KB.
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.