Designed by J B Dey of the Department of Public Works in 1917, this impressive building was only completed in 1921 after the end of the First World War and was officially opened by General Jan Smuts. Initially home to the Department of Agriculture, the building now houses the Departments of Consumer Science and Food Sciences. The prominent façade of the building with its white painted gable reflects elements of the Cape-Dutch style. A relief panel on the gable depicts mythological figures and beautifully carved wooden fanlights adorn the main entrance. A fire destroyed the top floor of the building in 1975, but the building was restored to its original condition.
5 coloured digital photos. JPEG image, Camera model Canon EOS 350D.
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.