In 1929 the Transvaal University College (TUC) allocated money for the construction of a students’ social centre. Architect Gerard Moerdijk designed the new building in a style similar to that of the Student Affairs building. With both reflecting elements of the Neo-Romanesque style, the central square in front of the Old Arts building was kept symmetrical. The first level was completed in 1930 and the second level only in 1936. Major renovations in 1993 resulted in reception halls for dining and meeting purposes, as well as a coffee shop and restaurant. Of particular interest in this building are the tiles of the hearth which are reminiscent of Delft tiles, but unlike Delft, portray Africanised images showing animals, Boer settlers and African warriors. Today the Club Hall houses the Burgundy’s coffee shop and practice rooms for the UP Camerata Choir.
Created with Artlantis. JPEG image, Dimensions: 2048 x 1536, Size: 1.21MB.
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.