Old Agricultural Building (photos 1)

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.advisor Pienaar, Leon
dc.contributor.author Van Aswegen, Henning
dc.contributor.other Dey, J.B.
dc.date.accessioned 2008-09-15T12:51:49Z
dc.date.available 2008-09-15T12:51:49Z
dc.date.issued 2008-09-09
dc.description Coloured digital photos created by using a Luminix digital camera, size: 2048 * 1360 pixels, 2 photos, 1353 kilobytes. en
dc.description.abstract Designed by J B Dey of the Department of Public Works in 1917, this impressive building was only completed in 1921 after the end of the First World War and was officially opened by General Jan Smuts. Initially home to the Department of Agriculture, the building now houses the Departments of Consumer Science and Food Sciences. The prominent façade of the building with its white painted gable reflects elements of the Cape-Dutch style. A relief panel on the gable depicts mythological figures and beautifully carved wooden fanlights adorn the main entrance. A fire destroyed the top floor of the building in 1975, but the building was restored to its original condition. en
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2263/7120
dc.language.iso en en
dc.publisher Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria en
dc.rights University of Pretoria en
dc.subject Cape-Dutch style en
dc.subject Main campus en
dc.subject Old Agricultural Building en
dc.subject.lcsh University of Pretoria -- Buildings
dc.subject.lcsh University of Pretoria -- History
dc.subject.lcsh Architecture -- South Africa -- Pretoria
dc.title Old Agricultural Building (photos 1) en
dc.type Image en


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record