Originally the St Anthony dormitory of Christian Brothers’ College, the building was acquired by the University in 1969 and earmarked for use by the SRC. The building was renovated and inaugurated in February 1972. Named Huis-en-Haard by Prof C H Rautenbach, Vice-Chancellor and Principal of the University at the time, the building comprised a cafeteria, offices for the SRC, recreational rooms and a staff tearoom. It also housed the editorial offices of the Student newspaper Die Perdeby and later the Day Students House. The building served as the student community centre until the construction of the present Student Centre in 1995. Today Huis-en-Haard is home to the Centre for the Study of Aids, the canteen Oom Gert se Plek, a restaurant, various service providers and includes function and conference facilities.
Coloured digital photo created using Luminix digital camera, size: 2048 * 1360 pixels, 3 photos, 1906 kilobytes.