Analysing the South African residential sector's energy profile

Show simple item record Bohlmann, Jessika Andreina Inglesi-Lotz, Roula 2019-05-22T12:44:56Z 2018-11
dc.description.abstract Given the significance of the residential sector in terms of energy consumption, a comprehensive understanding of households’ energy consumption patterns and choices is imperative. This paper focuses on analysing and understanding the South African residential sector's energy characteristics considering their energy-use profile, and other characteristics such as their geographical distribution and demographic characteristics. The findings show that despite poorer households who are connected to the national grid receiving 50 kW/h of free electricity per month to help them cover their basis energy needs, South African households – particularly low-income households – still use various sources of energy including wood and paraffin to satisfy their basic energy requirements. Solid fuels are predominantly used in rural areas where around 75% of non-electrified households rely on solid fuels for cooking, heating and lighting. Low-income South African households consume between 5% and 10% of their total energy in lighting; space heating and cooking account for the remainder 85–90% of their total energy consumption. After evaluating the relevant data regarding households’ access to electricity, the type of energy used by households and households’ expenditure on electricity and energy in South Africa from the NIDS dataset; it was concluded, that electricity access is reasonably high across South African households. Additionally, an increasing trend can be observed in their total expenditure on electricity. However, approximately 70% of households still spend on other energy sources. en_ZA
dc.description.department Economics en_ZA
dc.description.embargo 2019-11-01
dc.description.librarian hj2019 en_ZA
dc.description.sponsorship The South African National Research Foundation (NRF). en_ZA
dc.description.uri en_ZA
dc.identifier.citation Bohlmann, J.A. & Inglesi-Lotz, R. 2018, 'Analysing the South African residential sector's energy profile', Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 96, pp. 240-252. en_ZA
dc.identifier.issn 1364-0321 (print)
dc.identifier.issn 1879-0690 (online)
dc.identifier.other 10.1016/j.rser.2018.07.052
dc.language.iso en en_ZA
dc.publisher Elsevier en_ZA
dc.rights © 2018 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved. Notice : this is the author’s version of a work that was accepted for publication in Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. Changes resulting from the publishing process, such as peer review, editing, corrections, structural formatting, and other quality control mechanisms may not be reflected in this document. A definitive version was subsequently published in Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 96, pp. 240-252, 2018. doi : 10.1016/j.rser.2018.07.052. en_ZA
dc.subject Residential sector en_ZA
dc.subject Energy consumption en_ZA
dc.subject Energy habits en_ZA
dc.subject South Africa (SA) en_ZA
dc.subject National income dynamics study (NIDS) en_ZA
dc.title Analysing the South African residential sector's energy profile en_ZA
dc.type Postprint Article en_ZA

Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record