Built as a designated complex to provide facilities for the Department of Music which was established in 1958, this structure consists of office wings, an auditorium and an open-air amphitheatre. UP alumnus and architect Brian Sandrock was responsible for the design of the facility which was built on part of the old athletics field. Remnants of the spectator terraces around the track can still be seen to the east of the Musaion. The office wing of the complex was completed in 1960 and the auditorium and amphitheatre the following year. The complex was officially opened with a series of concerts in 1961 and in April 1962 with a gala concert featuring South African opera star Mimi Coertse and the South African Broadcasting Corporation Symphony Concert. The complex features elements of the Little Brazilian or Modern Brazilian style and has excellent acoustics. In 1976 the University installed a mechanical-action pipe organ in the Musaion that consists of 2 659 organ pipes, of which the tallest measures 4,9 metres. The Musaion seats just over 500 people and the amphitheatre around 3 000. Free weekly lunch-hour concerts are held in the Musaion during term. Together with the Aula, the Musaion and Amphitheatre complex is an important cultural venue on the University campus.
Sketchup model of the Amphitheatre. Please use Sketchup software to access model. Download Sketchup from http://sketchup.google.com/download/.
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.