The Carl and Emily Fuchs Institute for Microelectronics (CEFIM) celebrated its 25th anniversary on 22 June 2007.
CJ Fuchs (Pty) Ltd was established “from a derelict stable, with a wife, a dog and no money” (Carl’s own words) by Carl and Emily Fuchs in 1929. The couple were dedicated and hard workers and the company grew to such an extent that it became a household name in South Africa, known for the excellent quality of its domestic electrical appliances. The company later also manufactured industrial electrical equipment and electronic systems, as well as colour television sets from the 1950s.
They had no children, and established the Carl and Emily Fuchs Foundation to support charity and education in South Africa. In 1981 the University of Pretoria approached the foundation to establish a permanent microelectronics facility at the University, and the Fuchs Foundation agreed. Over the past 25 years, the institute has been managed by Prof Louis van Biljon (1981 – 1986), Prof Pieter Rademeyer (1987 – 1989), Mr Willie Malan (1990) and Prof Monuko du Plessis (1991 to date).
Artlantis model of CEFIM building, please use Artlantis software to access model. Download Artlantis from http://www.artlantis.com/index.php?page=download/demo/index.
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.