Botany Building (virtual model 2)

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.advisor Pienaar, Leon
dc.contributor.author Gouws, C.
dc.contributor.editor Läuferts, Monika
dc.contributor.other Moerdijk, Gerard
dc.contributor.other Watson, H.
dc.contributor.other Elbrecht, B.
dc.contributor.other Mazureik, J.
dc.date.accessioned 2008-09-01T11:34:33Z
dc.date.available 2008-09-01T11:34:33Z
dc.date.issued 2008-05-25
dc.description Image of virtually rendered coloured night-time model of the Botany building, size 2048x1536. en
dc.description Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.
dc.description.abstract This attractive face brick building with elements of Dutch Brick Modernism was designed by architects Gerard Moerdijk and H Watson in conjunction with Prof B Elbrecht of the Department of Botany. The cornerstone was laid on 10 April 1940 and construction was finished later that same year. Increasing student numbers made it necessary for the building to be extended in 1959 and resulted in an additional wing designed by J Mazureik. The building accommodates the Plant Science Department. The Manie van der Schyff Botanical Garden surrounds the building. The garden is approximately three and a half hectare in extent and contains more than 3 000 plant species, including a complete African cycad collection. A large greenhouse was added in 1956. en
dc.format.extent 995171 bytes
dc.format.mimetype image/jpeg
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2263/6816
dc.language.iso en en
dc.publisher Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria en
dc.rights University of Pretoria en
dc.subject Botany Building en
dc.subject Dutch Brick Modernism en
dc.subject Manie van der Schyff Botanical Garden en
dc.subject Moerdyk, Gerard en
dc.subject.lcsh University of Pretoria -- Buildings
dc.subject.lcsh University of Pretoria -- History
dc.subject.lcsh Architecture -- South Africa -- Pretoria
dc.subject.lcsh Architectural models
dc.title Botany Building (virtual model 2) en
dc.type Image en


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record