This attractive face brick building with elements of Dutch Brick Modernism was designed by architects Gerard Moerdijk and H Watson in conjunction with Prof B Elbrecht of the Department of Botany. The cornerstone was laid on 10 April 1940 and construction was finished later that same year. Increasing student numbers made it necessary for the building to be extended in 1959 and resulted in an additional wing designed by J Mazureik. The building accommodates the Plant Science Department. The Manie van der Schyff Botanical Garden surrounds the building. The garden is approximately three and a half hectare in extent and contains more than 3 000 plant species, including a complete African cycad collection. A large greenhouse was added in 1956.
Artlantis model of the Botany building. Please use Artlantis software to access model. Download Artlantis from http://www.artlantis.com/index.php?page=download/demo/index.
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.