Prof. Jonathan Jansen was announced a winner at the (NSTF) National Science & Technology Foundation awards in the following category: ESKOM Research Capacity Development Awards: Researcher, for Research Capacity Development over the last 5-10 years. In this interview Lorenzo Raynard asked him the following questions:
1. How did he become a black dean at a white university?
2. What are the challenges that he faces?
3. Which experiences have helped him in his work?
4. What are the challenges for the South African education curriculum?
5. Future developments?
6. How does he see South Africa's position at the moment?
7. What does he have to say about the salaries of teachers?
8. What does he think of UK teacher working environments in comparison to those in South Africa?
9. What are the limitations of teachers?
10. If he could be in charge of the education budget, where would he see the money going?
11. What does he have to say to young people considering a career in teaching?
12. Last words from the dean
Michael Bossinger who conducted the interview, is from MFM which is Stellenbosch University’s campus radio station. This was part of a national project of the NSTF to use a convergence of ICTs which included campus radio stations, to ensure knowledge transfer between the NSTF Award winners and students.