The ability to learn from catastrophe and the science of anticipating and managing the aftermath of such events has challenged man for centuries. From its insurance origins, corporate risk management has developed into a fully fledged management function and is progressing into business areas that were originally considered unrelated. The evolution of risk management into such a corporate approach recognises that risks are interrelated and that significant benefits may be achieved from evaluating and monitoring them on a company-wide basis.
The private healthcare environment today is facing pressing issues that include:
• A dramatic increase in regulatory oversight within the industry;
• the need for more innovative actuarial and financial models to address countrywide epidemics such as HIV and AIDS;
• increased prevalence of high risk re-insurance practices which aim at ensuring the financial stability of healthcare service providers;
• increases in expected fraudulent activity;
• increasing the scope of private healthcare to incorporate a larger share of the South African population; and
• providing effective healthcare cover to members whilst facing significant medical inflation increases.
De la Porte, Andre(OpenJournals Publishing, 2016-07-15)
Healthcare in South Africa is in a crisis. Problems with infrastructure, management, human
resources and the supply of essential medicines are at a critical level. This is compounded by
a high burden of disease and ...
Children of school-going age are faced with multiple challenges that need
professional interventions from educators and healthcare providers. This study
sought to explore and describe the challenges experienced by ...
Kabale, B.M.I.; Nkombua, Lushiku; Matthews, P.; Offiong, B.E.(South African Academy of Family Practice/Primary Care, 2013)
OBJECTIVES: The objectives of this study were to explore healthcare professionals’ (HCPs) perceptions about patients who had been assaulted, who consult under the influence of alcohol, and to make them aware of their ...