Two outbreaks of neurotoxicoses are reported in cattle browsing on the leaves of Ficus spp. In the first outbreak,
three animals died and one became ill. A sheep developed severe nervous signs, including tetanic spasms, when
dosed with the leaves of Ficus ingens var. ingens from the toxic camp where the cattle had died.
The second outbreak resulted in the death of 12 heifers within 48 h of ingestion of the leaves of F. cordata subsp.
salicifolia. Clinical signs included hyperaesthesia, ataxia, muscle tremors and paddling motions while in lateral
recumbency. Similar signs were reproduced by drenching the incriminated leaves to a steer. The sheep dosed with
F. ingens var. ingens and two cattle, one of which had died during the second outbreak and the steer drenched with
F. cordata subsp. salicifolia, were necropsied. Light microscopical examination consistently revealed oedema of
the central nervous system. In the steer, focal demyelination was evident in localized areas of the brain and spinal
cord. Liver lesions ranged from mild degeneration to focal disseminated necrosis of hepatocytes.
The articles have been scanned in colour with a HP Scanjet 5590; 600dpi.
Adobe Acrobat XI Pro was used to OCR the text and also for the merging and conversion to the final presentation PDF-format.