Completed in 1975, this impressive structure was the first skyscraper erected on campus. Designed in a modern style by the architect Brian Sandrock, an alumnus of UP, the building was intended to define the university square and serve as a landmark at the western entrance (University Road entrance). It was built in such a way that it did not obstruct the view of the Old Arts building from University Road – hence its elevation. The construction of the building entailed complex construction methods. The two main towers were first erected and then the floors were suspended from top to bottom connected by cables ‘hanging’ from the cross support frame across the top of the two towers. The building was literally built from top to bottom. The building houses some of the departments of the Engineering Faculty and provides research facilities, lecture rooms and office space.
Coloured digital photos created using Luminix digital camera, size 2048 * 1360 pixels, 3 photos, 2082 kilobytes.