Designed by architect Philip Viljoen of Steyn and Viljoen, the building was constructed to provide accommodation to the Departments of Chemistry and Physics and a secure location for the University’s mainframe computer. The building was inaugurated in September 1987 by Dr Anton Rupert, himself a chemist and natural scientist. Great care was taken to ensure adequate electrical and water supply to the building, as well as specialised systems to convey pressurised gasses to laboratories. In 1992 the Camera Obscura was built on top of the building and has become a popular attraction amongst visitors to the campus. The projection of images of objects and happenings outside the chamber onto a surface in the chamber, and particularly the clarity of the projected image, never ceases to impress.
Created with Artlantis. JPEG image, Dimensions: 2048 x 1536, Size: 1.26MB.
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.