mirage

Botany Building

DSpace/Manakin Repository

Botany Building

 

This attractive face brick building with elements of Dutch Brick Modernism was designed by architects Gerard Moerdijk and H Watson in conjunction with Prof B Elbrecht of the Department of Botany. The cornerstone was laid on 10 April 1940 and construction was finished later that same year. Increasing student numbers made it necessary for the building to be extended in 1959 and resulted in an additional wing designed by J Mazureik. The building accommodates the Plant Science Department. The Manie van der Schiff Botanical Garden surrounds the building. The garden is approximately three and a half hectare in extent and contains more than 3 000 plant species, including a complete African cycad collection. A large greenhouse was added in 1956.

Source: Campus Building Guide 2008

Campus map

Campus Map with Google

3D Models of Botany Building on Google 3D Warehouse

Recent Submissions

  • University of Pretoria. Corporate Communication and Marketing; University of Pretoria. Dept. of Historical and Heritage Studies; University of Pretoria. UP Archives; University of Pretoria. Dept. of Facilities Management (University of Pretoria, 2008)
    The architectural wealth of the University of Pretoria represents all the schools of thought of the most important building styles of the past hundred years. It comprises a compact and highly accessible collection of ...
  • Gouws, C. (Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria, 2008-05-25)
    This attractive face brick building with elements of Dutch Brick Modernism was designed by architects Gerard Moerdijk and H Watson in conjunction with Prof B Elbrecht of the Department of Botany. The cornerstone was laid ...
  • Gouws, C. (Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria, 2008-05-24)
    This attractive face brick building with elements of Dutch Brick Modernism was designed by architects Gerard Moerdijk and H Watson in conjunction with Prof B Elbrecht of the Department of Botany. The cornerstone was laid ...
  • Gouws, C. (Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria, 2008-05-25)
    This attractive face brick building with elements of Dutch Brick Modernism was designed by architects Gerard Moerdijk and H Watson in conjunction with Prof B Elbrecht of the Department of Botany. The cornerstone was laid ...
  • Gouws, C. (Department of Architecture, University of Pretoria, 2008-05-25)
    This attractive face brick building with elements of Dutch Brick Modernism was designed by architects Gerard Moerdijk and H Watson in conjunction with Prof B Elbrecht of the Department of Botany. The cornerstone was laid ...