Bought from the Catholic Church in 1980, the complex which is now known as Tukkiewerf comprises three buildings – a chapel and monastery built in 1925 and a monastery hall designed by Gerald Bernhard and built in 1946. The complex was upgraded in 1984 and presented to the SRC for its administrative needs. The chapel with its stained glass windows is often used for weddings and church services. The chapel was known as the Church of Saint Alfons Maria de Liguori, after Saint Alfons, the founder of the order of Ligournians, or Redemptionists, who was declared a saint in 1839. This order was dedicated to helping poor communities and was founded in 1732, in Naples, Italy. The beautiful stained glass windows of the chapel were created by Léo Theron. A commemorative plaque at the entrance of the monastery hall honours soldiers belonging to the Catholic Church who died during World War II.
Sketchup model of the Chapel, please use Sketchup to access model. Download Sketchup from http://sketchup.google.com/download/.
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.