In 1965 it was decided to construct a new administration building and UP alumnus Brian Sandrock was commissioned for the design. He designed an interesting three-cornered, star-shaped building which was completed in 1968. By 1973 additional office space was required and Sandrock was again commissioned to design a wing to the east of the building. Construction on this wing began in 1979 and was completed in 1986. The wing includes the offices of the Principal, Council Chambers and the Senate Hall. The building shows traces of Neo-Brutalism and is shaped like a ship – hence the student name of Die Skip (The Ship). The north-western facade of the building comprises an intricate relief mural which adds texture to the otherwise bland concrete wall. Sandrock later commented that there was no symbolism behind the design and that it was simply the result of doodling in plaster of Paris late at night while he worked on the model of the building.
5 Colour digital photos. JPEG images, Camera model: DSC-H1, Dimensions: 2592 x 1944.
Created by 3rd year B.Sc.(Arch) student, University of Pretoria, 2008.