Netherlands Bank* (1946-1955), physical address: Corner of Church and Andries Streets, Pretoria.
Eaton, with Professor A.L. Meiring in the background, began planning the new building, which would be erected during 1952-5. Eaton stressed from the outset that the design would be dissimilar to those customarily associated with bank buildings in the past, where the use of an architectural style had been a prerequisite. Offices would be sheltered from the hot summer sun, and a wide protective cantilevered canopy would be placed over pavements to protect pedestrians from the elements. From the outset, Eaton therefore carefully considered the local climate in the planning of spaces and resultant facades. Along with a proposed basement car parking area, the projecting canopy had to be excluded on the insistence of the client – they had apparently felt that especially the latter would be inappropriate for a bank building (Harrop-Allin, 1975: 90).
Drawings of the Nederlandse Bank, Pretoria in March 1946, including:
Ground floor plan
Typical upper floor plan
Plan at roof level
First basement plan to be used as garaging and services
Second basement plan to be used as storage rooms
South elevation to Church Street
Cross section (North to South)